March 16, 2009

Saturday, by Ian McEwan


It pains me to say this. I didn't completely enjoy this book. Oh, I'll admit it's very clever. McEwan did a hell of a lot of research. The main character, Henry Perowne, is a neurosurgeon and there's a lot of description of diseases and surgeries. As well, his son is a rising blues musician and his daughter is an emerging poet, so there's a lot of background on those subjects. No, I thought it was very well done to put so much detail in, although maybe a little jealous-making to imagine one family being so talented and successful.

And it's very ambitious, I think, to have a book take place in only one day, the titular Saturday. I didn't really believe it at first. I think what annoyed me was Henry Perowne himself. I probably should have been impressed at the depth and complexity that was involved in his character, but instead I was irritated. He was a bit dreamy and indecisive at what I felt were inappropriate times, and I disagreed with some of his actions.

I think I'll read this New Yorker profile of Ian McEwan to cheer myself up.

No comments: