October 1, 2009

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson



Talk about easy reads. I didn't want to start a new book because I didn't think I could finish it before leaving for my trip (tomorrow!). While I was arranging our new bookcase, I pulled one of the three thick Calvin and Hobbes volumes out and joked that I would just finish it before I carried on. Then I thought, "Why don't I?" I thought it was a really cool gift when Kelly got it a Christmas or two ago, but for some reason I never opened a book up. Perhaps because they are so imposingly large and heavy.

I finished the first two and now I'm partway through the third volume of my all-time favourite comic strip (with Peanuts close behind), and it's an eminently satisfying read. It's still just as good as when I was a kid, but now I'm noticing how good the illustrations are, the philosophical references, and the warmth of the relationships.

No comments: