May 28, 2010

A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg


Molly Wizenberg is the Seattle blogger who writes Orangette, a rather darling food blog I fell for a few years ago. She and her husband also own Delancey, a New York-style pizza restaurant I'm now even more mad to go to the next time I'm in Seattle. Even though I'm a fan of hers, it took me a while to read her book, which is now out in paperback. Why? I don't know. I dragged my heels on reading the Amateur Gourmet's book too, and I love his blog. Anyway, it finally occurred to me to take Molly's book off my Amazon wish list and get it from the library.

The book is comprised of many short chapters, each ending with a recipe. When I searched the internet last night for the recipes I'd bookmarked, I was pleased to find most of them on her blog, but a wee bit disappointed to find that the blog posts which accompanied them were veeery similar to what was in the book. Like, almost word-for-word. I wanted it all to be new writing. To be fair, I didn't read her blog the first couple of years it was up, so it was new to me.

In any case, it's a charming story of love, food, France, and her family. The story of her father's death was heartbreakingly intense.

At the same time I read the book, I also started listening to her podcast, Spilled Milk, which is delicious and fun. I really like Molly Wizenberg. I want to hang out. (Dear Molly, I live in Vancouver, we could totally hang out sometime!)

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table

No comments: