April 7, 2011

Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro


I'm a bad person. While I really enjoyed this book a lot, it was 3 books ago now, and I mostly feel pressure to whip something off and get it up on the blog. I can tell you that this was on my "to read" list for ages and ages, and when the movie came out, I wanted to see it, but totally didn't connect the two. Didn't even remember the title, actually. Well, I haven't seen the movie yet because I suck at seeing movies I want to see, but I did finally read the book, and good thing too.

The author is highly acclaimed, and I was surprised to find that he also wrote The Remains of the Day, for which he won the Booker Prize. This is quite different from what I imagine The Remains of the Day is like. It posits a world that grows clones for organ donation, and tells the story of three of those clones, who are entirely human in their emotions and lives. The world probably doesn't feel too comfortable thinking about that, but this is really about the three people, Kathy, Tommy, and Ruth. It's a bit of a mystery and a bit of a love story.

This is a way better review than I ever could have written: frighteningly clever

No comments: