March 26, 2012

The Marriage Plot, by Jeffrey Eugenides


I stopped reading a 900 page book I'm halfway through in order to read this one that came in through a library hold. This book was pretty great, you guys! I really enjoyed Eugenides' previous novel, "Middlesex", so I figured I would like this too. There was one point where I put it down and thought to myself, "I really don't like these people", but as it turned out, that was meant to be a turning point in the central couple's relationship.

The book takes place in the 80's, and is about recent Ivy League college grads Madeleine, who is from a privileged upbringing, her manic-depressive boyfriend Leonard, who comes from poorer stock, and Mitchell, a religious studies student who is in love with Madeleine and is trying to figure himself out spiritually. The book's title comes from Madeleine's scholarly love of Victorian novels and how their whole point is getting the heroine married off. I was completely satisfied by the ending. This is not a romance novel.

No comments: