August 17, 2008

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, by Mary Roach


Mary Roach's first book, "Stiff", was about dead bodies and the surprising things that are done with them in the name of science. Her second book, "Spook", was about the afterlife and science. Her third book, not surprisingly, also has a one-word, one-syllable title, and is about sex and science.

I wouldn't call myself a scientifically minded person in the slightest, but Mary Roach is a very entertaining writer and writes for the layperson. She also writes about things that one doesn't usually connect with science, as you may have guessed. 

While I really enjoyed reading "Bonk", I was a little disturbed while reading it because I found myself thinking, "What am I going to say about this book in my blog? I don't remember any of it!" That was the weirdest thing. I forgot the book as I read it. It might have been because I didn't feel it had a cohesive narrative thread. That wasn't a bad thing! I totally liked this book. Maybe it's a little embarrassing to read on the bus though, if you think your seatmate is reading over your shoulder.

No comments: