August 9, 2008

The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry, by Kathleen Flinn


This book is a memoir of a Seattle journalist's culinary education at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, one of the most famous cooking schools in the world. My first reaction is that it was a heck of a lot like "Trail of Crumbs" (which I reviewed here), in that they're both true stories about American ex-pats living in Paris who love food, and both have their chapters end with recipes. But I liked the recipes more and found the attempts at insight on romance and whatnot less cheesy in "Trail of Crumbs".

I didn't like that Flinn has her characters "blurt" or "sputter" things almost as much as they just "say" them. But that petered out, and by the end, I was whole-heartedly enjoying it. It's an easy read and there's even a love story (spoiler: she gets married!) 

As I was finishing it on the bus today, I noticed that Michael Ruhlman has a blurb on the back cover. That man is everywhere.

No comments: