August 29, 2008

Smile When You're Lying, by Chuck Thompson


I noticed this book at Chapters and requested it from the library on a whim. The subtitle, "Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer", made me think it might have some pretty entertaining travel stories. Meh. It was more like a condemnation of conventional travel writing, with stories about places he's lived and jobs he's had thrown in. And some stories about crazy stuff that's happened to him on a few trips. I wasn't intensely interested, so that's why it's been a while between reviews. 

The current book I'm reading is really good, so there should be another post soon. I'm starting to feel like I should lay off the food books and the light reading for a while though, and dig into something deeper, Anna Karenina-style. Any suggestions? 

1 comment:

Grace O'Connell said...

very cool blog! I'm sure you can tell I'm a big bookworm, so this is right up my alley. I will be sure to check it out.