February 26, 2010

The Year of the Flood, by Margaret Atwood


This book reminded me why I own almost a dozen Margaret Atwood books. I haven't been too interested in what she's done since Oryx and Crake, but this brought me back to the fold. It was fantastic and I couldn't stop reading it.

The Year of the Flood isn't exactly a sequel to Oryx and Crake. It's sort of concurrent, and expands on the same story of a dystopian society. I want to reread Oryx and Crake right away so I can understand the book more deeply, because I can hardly remember it.

There's a character in The Year of the Flood called Rebecca Eckler, which irked me for a while because I was pretty sure that Rebecca Eckler is a Canadian lifestyle journalist I sort of hate. A note in the back of the book said that the character's name was auctioned off for charity, so that explains that. (Just the sort of self-obsessed thing she'd do. Ooh, I guess I do hate her.)

Apparently this is the second book in a series of 3, so perhaps the ending wasn't so vague after all.

No comments: