July 11, 2011

Life, On the Line, by Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas


Grant Achatz is someone I find extremely interesting, and his restaurant Alinea is the top place I desire to visit, so I couldn't wait to read this book. I was not disappointed.  This tells Grant's story from his childhood working at his family's diner, all the way through his tenure at the French Laundry, to his launch of Alinea and his battle with cancer. I was wondering what part Kokonas, his Alinea co-owner, had in the book when he finally showed up halfway through. His parts are in a different font, which is a nice touch.

It's kind of funny, the parts of his life Achatz hurries through and glazes over (his education at the Culinary Institute of America only takes a couple of pages and his relationship with the mother of his children is very hazy), but I get the feeling Achatz is a different kind of guy. Anyway, it's interesting to read about the set-up of Alinea and to get more details about Achatz's cancer then I'd ever read before. (It was pretty horrifying.) I liked this.

No comments: