April 29, 2010

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake


No photo of the book this time because Kelly returned it to the library before I had a chance. It wasn't his fault, I left it by the door in the spot I always put my books when I want him to take them back for me. How was he to know?

Anyway, when I finished The Year of the Flood way back in February, I said I wanted to reread Oryx and Crake right away. Finally I have. It didn't take that long once I got going- it was a great read. Very absorbing. All these tiny details from the second book made a lot more sense. Atwood did a great job dovetailing the two books. My memory of it from the first time I read it was that it was very bleak and depressing. Well, it was, but it also wasn't. The story was of a bleak and depressing near-future, but I didn't feel sad reading it.

I look forward to the eventual third novel. In the meantime, I might reacquaint myself with some other Margaret Atwood novels- what the heck was The Blind Assassin about?

No comments: